Louis Vuitton Malletier born, August 4, 1821 in Jura, France. Moved to Paris in 1835 and there, he became an apprentice Layetier to prominent households. Because of his well established reputation in his field, Napoleon III of France appointed Vuitton as Layetier to his wife, Empress Eugénie de Montijo. Through his experience with the French aristocracy, he developed expert knowledge of what made a good traveling case. It was then that he began to design his own luggage, setting the foundations for LV Co.
- 99% of all Louis Vuitton bags in the world are fake but the bag below is definitely not :).
- Louis Vuitton opened his first store in 1854, but only began making handbags after the 1892 world’s fair.
- The first LVs sold in the United States were sold in 1898 by Wanamaker’s department stores
- Though it’s been around since 1930, the Speedy didn’t gain a massive following until it was redesigned for Audrey Hepburn in the 60s.
- The “LV” monogram was originally meant to foil counterfeiting attempts